The Home Affairs Select Committee has recommended amendments to the government’s proposed Domestic Abuse Bill.
The suggested changes include:
• Funding refuges for survivors should be a statutory obligation, backed by national ring-fenced funds;
• Split payments for couples should be standard under the Universal Credit welfare system;
• Establishment of a national register of serial domestic violence perpetrators and serial stalkers;
• The government should consult on introducing paid leave for abuse victims;
• The proposed domestic abuse commissioner should also cover violence against women and girls;
• And finally, amending the title to Violence Against Women and Domestic Abuse Bill.